Onion chutney goes well with Idli’s and Dosa’s; can be made easily especially when there is no coconut or tomato to make chutney. Onion chutney doesn’t spoil easily as it is good to prepare for travelling long distance. People who travel in train for 1 or more days / goes for picnic usually prepare Idli and Onion chutney for long stay.
Onion chutney is a simple recipe; it can be made in minutes.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 5 mins
Shallots/ Small onions – 10 to 15
Red Chillies – 3 to 4
Tamarind – ½ of lemon size
Salt – to taste
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Peel Onions carefully, wash it.
- In a Mixie Jar add Onions, Red chilies, tamarind and salt.
- Grind it nicely together.
- Add little water to get a smooth paste.
- Take a frying pan or kadai.
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds/curry leaves and allow it to temper.
- Pour onions paste in pan.
- Let it cook till the oil oozes out.
- Stir often to avoid burning.
- Switch off the stove and serve with preferred breakfast.
- Using shallots or small onion gives wonderful flavour to the dish.
- If small onions is costly/ don’t have at home you can use big onions.
- You can adjust Red chilly according to your taste.
- I used normal refined oil for tempering, if you want extra flavour you can use gingelly oil instead.
You may Like it : Coconut Chutney